Kumeroa-Hopelands School is a rural primary school situated 10 minutes from Woodville and approximately 30 minutes from Palmerston North. The school was formed after an education area review resulted in the amalgamation of Kumeroa and Hopelands Schools in 1994 and the merger with Kohinui School in 2008. We are a full primary, decile 8 school with a role between 35 – 55 students.
The school is located in the township of Kumeroa adjacent to the Community Hall, Tennis Club and St Andrew’s Anglican Church. The Manawatu River passes to the west of the school grounds. There are three classrooms, a library and an administration block. A large adventure playground borders the playing field sheltered by a number of well established trees.
Kumeroa School was first established in 1884. The name Kumeroa has its roots from the time when travellers travelled up the Manawatu River to the Central Hawke’s Bay. The worst gravel banks and shallows were found in Kumeroa (kume – to pull, roa – long).
Today, Kumeroa-Hopelands maintains an open, friendly and welcoming environment for students, parents and community, along with a supportive Board of Trustees and community. The school and community celebrates and identifies strongly with its rural history and tradition. Active fundraising within the community provides enhanced resources and opportunities for learning. As a result, the school is well resourced, with an excellent range of teaching and learning materials.